Why join DECA?
- DECA gives many students the opportunity to travel throughout the country for once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Some of the destinations for the school year include:
- WBHS Local Competition | West Bloomfield High School | TBA
- DECA District 6 Conference | Lawrence Technological University, Southfield, MI | December 16, 2022
- State Career Development Conference | Detroit, MI | Thursday, March 9 - Saturday, March 11, 2023
- International Career Development Conference | Orlando, FL | Friday, April 21-Wednesday, April 26, 2023
Develop communication, marketing, and decision-making skills with opportunities of "real-world" experiences. Events may include multiple-choice tests, role playing situations, research projects, business plans, interviews, and teamwork skills. You will never have to present in front of more than two judges.
Join the WBHS DECA board which offers leadership development activities that are both fun and educational. WBHS DECA board members have the opportunity to attend leadership conferences, academies. DECA members are a step ahead of the typical high school graduate. Some examples of DECA’s leadership opportunities are listed below:
- DECA Membership Campaigns
- Workshops at the State Leadership Conference
- Member Academies at the International Career Development Conference
Countless colleges, universities and companies offer scholarships to DECA members. At the International Career Development Conference, over $350,000 in scholarship money is awarded annually to DECA members.
Local chapter activities are the core of what makes DECA a unique, student-focused organization. Below are an example of passed activities.
- American Cancer Society Spring Carnival
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Marketing Research
- Marketing plans with local companies
- Guest Speakers
- bagel sales
- candy sales
- Restaurant fundraisers
- WBHS DECA Spring Fashion Show
DECA’s Comprehensive Learning Program
- Integrates into Classroom Instruction – An integral component of classroom instruction, DECA activities provide authentic, experiential learning methods to prepare members for college and careers.
- Applies Learning – DECA members put their knowledge into action through rigorous problem-based activities that require creative solutions with practical outcomes.
- Connects to Business – Partnering with businesses at the local and broader levels provides DECA members realistic insight into the industry and promotes meaningful, relevant learning.
- Promotes Competition – As such in the global economy, a spark of competition drives DECA members to excel and increase their performance.
- Academically Prepared – DECA members are ambitious, high achieving leaders equipped to conquer the challenges of their ambitions.
- Community Oriented – Recognizing the benefit of service and responsibility to the community, DECA members continually impact and improve their local and broader communities.
- Professionally Responsible – DECA members are poised professionals with integrity and high standards.
- Experienced Leaders – DECA members are equipped to effectively influence their peers and provide leadership in a business setting.
- Membership Fees:
- The WBHS co-curricular fee is $35.00 per student. In addition to an official membership card and pin, DECA members receive four issues of Dimensions magazine, as well as copies of Michigan DECA’s newsletter, Spotlight on DECA. Members have opportunities to attend conferences designed to prepare them for college and careers. Members can also earn recognition and prove their knowledge in DECA’s Competitive Events Program, earn their share of more than $300,000 in scholarships and more.
- Must be paid by September 23, 2022 to appear on the 2022-2023 roster.
- Dues are non-transferable and non-refundable
- If an individual registered for a conference drops out of the class prior to the conference for which they are registered, or does not attend the conference, they are still required to pay the membership fees, and if necessary, the above penalty.
- Per Michigan DECA, student members must be an enrollee or a completer of a Marketing, Management, Finance, Hospitality or Entrepreneurship Co-curricular DECA course. DECA members are best prepared when enrolled in a state-approved marketing program. WBHS is proud to offer the following co-curricular DECA courses:
- Advanced Marketing
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Fashion Merchandising I & II
- Growing Your Business/Entrepreneurship
- Personal Finance
- AP Macro/Micro Economics
- To attend the district, state or ICDC competition, the student must have qualified to attend.
- To attend any Michigan DECA or National DECA conference, the participant must be a paid member of DECA and qualified under the WBHS DECA, MI DECA and National DECA guidelines.